Congratulations on making time for mental health in your community! The UCC Mental Health Network is here to assist you in developing programming so you too can participate in the growing practice of Mental Health Sundays.
We see Mental Health Sunday as a way for your congregation to begin or to continue to provide education and support to your members around mental health challenges.
When is Mental Health Sunday?
The United Church of Christ Mental Health Network invites you to highlight mental health on the third Sunday in May or any Sunday that suits your schedule.
How Can We Do Mental Health Sunday?
We encourage you to:
- Plan a Sunday with the theme: "Widen the Welcome: UCC for Mental Health"
- NEW! Use our liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2019 resource (pdf)
- Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2019 text only version
- Use the collection of worship resources in the Resource Guide for Mental Health Sunday. You will find some resources in the resource section below. Worship resources include sermon ideas as well as complete sermons, a litany, unison prayers and more.
- Explore the Congregational Toolkits for teaching your congregation about mental illnesses
- Send us stories and/or questions (use the form below or email email@example.com).
- Pay particular attention to future UCC MHN emails regarding mental health concerns
Read a story about the Mental Health Sunday celebrations held by UCC congregations on October 20, 2013.
What Resources Exist for MHS?
Download and print these files or edit/format them to meet your needs.
Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2019 resource (pdf)
Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2019 text only version
Christian Church Mental Health Awareness Sunday Video for Congregations
Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2018
Sermon idea from an African American perspective
Mental Health and the Hispanic Community resource
Litany for Mental Health Sunday from a minority perspective
'When Mental Illness Hits You" sermon
'Touch My Wounds" sermon
Worship on the Theme of Mental Health from the Church of England
Faith - Mental Health Guide from the American Psychiatry Association Foundation
Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday 2017
Checklist for Churches: Becoming a Welcoming, Inclusive, Supportive and Engaged (WISE) Congregation for Mental Health
Tips for Getting Ready for Mental Health Sunday
Sermon on The Stigma of Mental Illness
More Resources for Your Mental Health Sunday Services
Call to worship and prayer
Litany for Mental Health Sunday, 5.5" x 8.5"
Bulletin insert (front), 5.5" x 8.5"
Bulletin insert (back), 5.5" x 8.5"
Widen the Welcome logo (CMYK, 300 dpi) for use on printed material
Sample bookmark created by Broadmoor UCC Church in Colorado Springs
Exegesis: Lamentations 5:19 – 22
The UCC Mental Health Network intends to provide on-going resources and suggestions. We would gladly welcome any of your questions as well as stories of what you have done regarding a focus on mental health in your congregation. Share these by emailing Alan Johnson, chair of the UCC Mental Health Network, firstname.lastname@example.org.